We are recruiting ordinary people to join our team of extraordinarily hard-working, creative, and playful staff for the 2022 Summer!
Cabin Leader and Head Cook Summaries:
Cabin Leaders (Full-time, living on site June 19th – August 6th, 2022): The true glue of Camp WA WA! Our Cabin Counselors are summer superheroes who lead cabin groups and assist with daily program facilitation to ensure that this summer is a treasured experience for all campers!
Starting Summer Salary: $2,450 – $2,975 (starting pay range depends on Junior Cabin Leader or Head Camp Leader position)
The ideal Cabin Leader will:
- Be least an 11th Grade Graduate (Junior Counselors) or 18 years old (Head Counselors).
- Be a team player, strong listener, hard-working, playful, and eager to mentor diverse young people ages 6 to 17.
- Have experience working with youth and growing in a leadership capacity.
Key Responsibilities of a Cabin Leader:
- Supervise, mentor, and support a cabin of youth ages 8 – 16.
- Assist or teach a skill class each afternoon.
- Assist with select all-camp programming.
- Participate in the camp schedule enthusiastically each day and “Lead By Example.”
Head Cook (Full time, living onsite June 18 – August 6): The Head Cook keeps all of camp nourished and happy! This is a supervisor level position and is responsible for all meals and snacks for our hungry camp population of about 95 people.
Requirements: Must be ServSafe certified as a food handler and able to lift 50LBs.
Starting Summer Salary: $4,725
The ideal Head Cook will be:
- Enthusiastic about cooking for youth with different diet types and favorite foods.
- Flexible and detail oriented.
- A positive role model and eager to teach younger staff members how to grow in their roles.
Key Job Responsibilities of the Head Cook:
- Prepare 3 meals daily for entire camp using a mostly “from scratch” menu that is provided by the Camp Director.
- Monitor cold and dry storage and kitchen supply needs.
- Maintain all health and safety regulations, including allergy and special diet needs.
Submit an application by March 15th for full consideration for the 2022 summer:
Please email our Camp Director, Lily, if you have any questions about working at Camp WA WA! email@example.com.
Meet Our Camp Director Lily Mercogliano
Lily grew up in Albany NY and began attending Camp WA WA when she was almost eight years old. She spent the next thirteen summers at WA WA, completing the teen Senior Village program, LIT/CIT program, and eventually becoming a counselor and program director. For the past eleven years, Lily’s career as a high school teacher took her to Brooklyn, NY where she taught, and later became Executive Director, at Brooklyn Free School, a unique and world-renowned democratic school that serves youth in grades pre-K through 12th grade.
Lily currently resides again in Albany with her two children and husband. She credits WA WA with fostering her passion for education and community development.
Camp WA WA Segowea is the summer camp program of Smith Park of New York, Inc. Smith Park is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, nation of origin, age, or sex (including gender expression, sexual orientation and pregnancy).